Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Characters

My closest friends.  Guardian angels.  Personal demons.

Yeah, characters can wreak havoc.

Disclaimer: I'm not schizophrenic.  I understand 100% that the characters are fictional.

I think.  I'm pretty sure.

Anyway...

Characters come to writers in different ways.  My friend, Evie O Aldan, generally comes up with characters by looking at pictures and people-watching.  Most of my characters come from song lyrics or asking "what if" a lot.

Let me introduce you to Tristan.  He's a character I'm currently working with, and he's up for an interview of sorts.

Before I begin talking with him, let me explain what's going on in my head.  I picture a room, something like the set of a talk show, minus the audience.  I can see different views of Tristan: close up, sitting across from him, even from behind.  We are sitting in director's chairs and we simply talk.  When I first meet a new character, it's a lot less formal.  But tonight I want information on a specific scene I'm thinking of writing.  So sit back, enjoy, and please don't call the Funny Farm.  They're sick of hearing from me.

Hi, Tristan.


Good evening, my lady.  You've been agitated for hours.  How can I help?


I want to finish a scene I started weeks ago.  If you recall a time that Mia, your student, arrived for a 4:30 AM lesson...


*chuckling* Ah yes.  That lesson was most memorable.


I got as far as Mia choking because you walked out with your shirt open and wearing black dress pants. What happened after that?


*grin* What do you think?


I know you didn't take her back to your bed.  I know there was a lesson that left Mia wondering at your sanity and hers.


What else do you need to know?


I need to know what you taught her!


*sigh*  I taught her the rudimentary skills of flirting.  


....Ah.  No wonder she's all flustered.


Radiant.


Humiliated.


Merely a difference of opinion.  And since I am her instructor, mine is the opinion that carries the day.


I'm writing your story.  Bow before me.


Or I could send Edmund to distract you.


I'll take that.  Good night.


Sleep well, sweet lady.



No comments:

Post a Comment