Monday, February 28, 2011

All my hats

I am a mom of an adorable, so-sweet-he-makes-my-heart-ache 20-month old boy.  I'm a writer who hopes and dreams of being published one day.  (Note: I'm not out to write the next great American novel, but to see one of my stories in print is the dream.)  I'm a soon-to-be-ex-wife.  (More on that at another time.)  I'm a substitute teacher/tutor.  I sing in choir.  I help at my church.  I'm looking for a job that provides benefits and decent pay.  I'm a child of God; I'm a princess of heaven.  (Makes me think of pink frilly dresses and tiaras.  *smile* )

And I'm content.  Some days, I'm downright happy. 

Not to mention, I just figured out some stuff lately about me and my roles in this life.

For example, I'm a mom, but sometimes the Mom hat needs to come off.  And I'm learning to be ok with that.  I have had SuperMom syndrome for far too long, and it's such a relief to say, "My son's in bed; I'm going to go soak in the tub and read." 

I'm a writer, but I've learned the value of letting myself have writer's block for a day or two.

I am by no means perfect, but I can look myself in the eye and know that I'm honest with people around me, and honest with myself.  I know each day is a new chance at my life, and full os possibilities for good things and for mistakes to be made.  At the end of each day, as I say my prayers, I know that I'll have lots to tell my heavenly Father--lots of good and lots of bad.  It's how life is.

I have many roles, and each and every one of them is a part of me.  I may not love each of them every day, but I accept them. 

Excuse me.  My son is trying to put my shoes on my feet.  I'm guessing it's time to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment