Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Dreams

Prophecies.  Subconscious thinking.  Unfulfilled wishes or desires.  Dreams have been explained in many different ways, and after years of dreaming, I believe that just about any explanation for them is a possibility.

But what do you do when you have the same dream over and over?  Not only that, but it's so real that you can see, taste, feel, smell everything?  Or nearly everything.  Faces and names have always been somewhat obscured or hidden in shadow.  Most of my dreams I can trace back to what's been happening in my life.  But once in a while, there's one that leaves me reeling.

Like last night.  Last night I had a dream as I was half-awake that left me with the sound of rustling leather and laughter, the smell of wood and smoke and horses, the sensation of being kissed on the forehead.  It's the first time I've had this particular version, but the man I see is always the same.  Tall, strong, sure of himself without being cocky.  His entire being seems rooted in the earth even as he walks, and I always see an aura of cobalt blue all around him.  He calms me, laughs at me until I laugh at myself, and knows when I need a strong hand to guide me through whatever mess I'm about to get into.  He's never changed.

Now, could this be a real man out there somewhere?  Sure.  Why not?  There's over 6 billion people in this world; I can't deny the possibility.  Does that mean I'll ever meet him?  Who knows?  I hope someday to remarry, and to marry a man like this.  But as my good friend Evie tells me, "He could be an accountant with sterling family values who likes listening to country music."

Or I could just be hallucinating.

In any case, I never laugh at anyone's dreams.  You never know what may come of them.

Unless you tell me a banana's chasing you.  Then it's time to lay off the late-night salsa...or go see a shrink.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I've had that banana chasing dream! And it came true. I had to peel 4 bananas one day at snack time. They kept chasing me around the table instead of sitting nicely in their seats and waiting like they were supposed to be doing.

    ReplyDelete